Why IoT? Why Ag-IoT? Why Now?
- In today’s era of technological revolution, an increasing number of farmers starts searching for technological solutions in order to improve the quality of their production. As a result of the development of cheap and reliable sensors alongside the need to gain better control over technological data, many integrated solutions are developed in the sphere of IoT.
- In order to clarify the needs of farmers in this field and to analyze market potential, Alpha Brown conducted an extensive study among more than 1600 farmers and ranchers, aimed at understanding the IoT – “Internet of the things” technological solutions among farmers.
- Among other topics, the study indicates the farmers’ level of knowledge regarding IoT Ag Tech solutions, as well as types of IoT technological products and services utilized. Furthermore, the study attempts to understand the farmers’ plans for technological purchases in 2018.
- The data that was aggregated in this study is intended to assist technology companies and investment institutes, interested in the field of agricultural technology, to understand the potential of the agricultural technology market, and in this case - the IoT sector, mainly based on the needs and perceptions of the customers - the farmers.
This study applies a combination of quantitative and qualitative research methods and is based on the following:
- A comprehensive survey conducted by Alpha-Brown on March-April 2018, sent to thousands of farmers and growers mostly in the U.S.
- The survey's responses represent a similar picture to the reality of the US market in terms of the size of farms and types of crops (in relation to data collected by the US Department of Agriculture- the USDA)
- In-depth review of several major companies currently developing IoT solutions worldwide.
- Data regarding new investments in this field.
- the report consists of 30 pages and 14 figures.
Table of content:
- Executive Summary
- Chapter 1 – IoT solutions for Agriculture – definition
- Chapter 2 – are farmers aware of the existing IoT solutions?.
- Do farmers believe that IoT has positive potential?.
- Most of the farmers interested in IoT own small-medium farms.
- Chapter 3 - IoT market size in the U.S. today.
- IoT market size in the U.S. today.
- main agriculture sectors that make use of IoT solutions.
- The Scope of use of IoT solutions by sectors.
- Main usages of IoT
- The usage of IoT based on farm size.
- The scope of usage of IoT solutions in u.s. agriculture- summary
- Chapter 4 – IoT market potential
- The Farmers’ scope of interest in IoT solutions
- The Potential of the agriculture IoT Market in the U.S
- Analysis of market potential according to farm size.
- Are the large farms necessarily the main target audience for IOT SOLUTIONS?.
- Analysis of market potential based on farming activity.
- The market potential of IoT for agriculture in the U.S – main conclusions.
- Chapter 5 – leading IoT solutions in agriculture
LIST OF FIGURES:
Figure 1 - Distribution of respondents according to farm location.
Figure 2 - Distribution of respondents according to farm size.
Figure 3 - Distribution of respondents according to farming operations.